The Museum Education Department has prepared a guide, "Links To Learning," (PDF 987KB) with many ideas to consider as you make a direct application to Maine's Learning Results.
Basic tours provide general information about the three major manufacturing industries of Lewiston-Auburn: textiles, shoes, bricks and include a small demonstration activity and a tour of the museum's exhibits. The actual tour presentations include:
- child labor in the mills
- working conditions and the process of textile, shoe, and brick manufacturing
- growth and decline of textile mills and shoe shops in Auburn and Lewiston over the years
- changes in technology that have affected production and the labor force
Field Trip Fees:
School Groups of 10 or more:
- Basic Tour, approximately one hour in length: $4.00 per student
- Tour with hands-on activity, approximately 90 minutes in length: $7.00 per student
Note: Please include an extra half hour in your plans for transportation to and from school.
Advance registration is required.
We recommend one adult chaperon per 10 elementary students.
For more information or to arrange a trip to Museum L-A, send an email to Educator Diane Williams at Robert Caron or call 207-333-3881.